Monday, July 24, 2017

Really? "Getting Acquainted with Jewish Neighbors"



I shit you not.

As if you thought that Gentleman's Agreement was a trifle, I offer this book by Mildred Eakin from 1944.

I know, right?

Cookie must have a copy of this.

Why?  Because I saw this and hair on the back of my head bristled.

And. Oh. Bitch. PLEASE!  Read through the chapter descriptions!  Every WASP's greatest social fears, addressed!

Getting acquainted is a whole lot more different that "Let's be friends."

Yes, Mildred. Those people, in your neighborhood.  Get over it.  

Getting acquainted says "Let's say hello, but not go any further."

And in Chapter IV...



WE GET TO LEARN A PILGRIM SONG!

No Alice, its not about "Squanto Friend of the Pilgrim" as the sign reads on the statue in Plymouth, Mass.

But in reading up on Mildred Eakin, apparently she was an academic in comparative religions and education and she was very concerned about America's inability to shake its old hatreds as society progressed.  She was also very concerned with public school educators who could not adapt their curriculum's to be more open to matters of race and wrote books and papers on how to do that to help all students, regarding of race.

This book was one of pieces that she wrote trying to help Americans to bridge the gap.

But 73 years later, we are still dealing with that divide.  Its better.  But old hatred and suspicions die hard.

But yes, this book is something that Cookie must find because I need to read it and see it for my own eyes.

2 comments:

  1. There's a cheap copy right now on Abe Books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the title offensive and I'm not even jewish! won't someone please think of the children! (chapter 1)

    ReplyDelete